Salem High School has a new Facebook page for a Food & Clothing Pantry to help out students and families. They are currently seeking winter coats, socks, boots, sneakers and hats/mittens. https://www.facebook.com/Shspantry/
- Annual Textile Recycling Event – refer to the Events Calendar for date and location.
- Goodwill – Drop-Off available in the parking lot of the Peabody Stop & Shop (19 Howley Street, Peabody, MA 01960) and Swampscott Stop & Shop (450 Paradise Road, Swampscott, MA 01907)
- Salem’s Swap ‘N Drop is a great time to swap or just recycle clothes and other household items. See Events Calendar for more information.
- H&M Garment Collecting. Customers are encouraged to bring in unwanted garments of any brand and in any condition to H&M stores in all 53 markets to be given a new life.
- Salvation Army
- St. Vincent de Paul
- Clothing & footwear section contains additional information
- Mass DEP’s Textile Recycling page for additional information: http://www.mass.gov/eea/
- Community Recycling – collects clothing and shoes. Visit site here
MassDEP’s Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory – To find out where to recycle, reuse, or repurpose your textiles in Massachusetts, click here.
Clean, tattered, torn clothing, singleton socks/gloves or bedding can be brought to Goodwill. These textiles will be processed into new products such as carpet underlayments or other mats.
Clothes or other textile not suitable for the American market will get a second life in another part of the world. The good news is they will not go in a landfill.
Goodwill’s website states they only take decorative pillows, not bed pillows (although they allow them at our textile recycling event). Northeast Animal Shelter doesn’t take them.
The Salvation Army donation guide, http://boston.satruck.org/donation-value-guide states they DO accept pillows. As long as the pillows are clean and dry, not damaged and not stained, they accept them. If you place pillows in a Salvation Army drop box, they ask us to bag the pillows first. (If they receive pillows that turn out NOT to be resalable, they will recycle them.)
SALVATION ARMY – WHERE TO DONATE NEAR SALEM
Drop box, 60 Farm Ave, Peabody
Drop box, 159 Endicott St., Danvers
Drop box, 1 Franklin St., Lynn
Thrift store, 10 Monroe St., Lynn
Thrift store, 209 Broadway (Route 1), Saugus